So the most annoying question doing the rounds these days (owe it to the high levels of socializing) is 'Oh so you lived in the US for 2 years ?? Doesn't feel like it!' (mostly followed by a smirk, I like to imagine that its a smile of appreciation, but how much can one fool one's pretty sharp brain ?)
I proudly admit that I stayed there for 2 years and don't have the usual accent issues, don't like to show off that I am a foreign returned for that matter even foreign educated, like it if the limelight isn't on me all the time.
And I am super duper mighty proud of the fact that I returned to work here. Of course those who read the blog know that, I would have loved to work there, thinking of the education loa(d)n and fulfilling all other small desires. But I am happy that with my adaptability and flexibility reducing a little, I took the decision earlier than later.
And for my own knowledge I would really like to know how one is supposed to behave/act to make sure that one looks/feels like a foreign returned ?
But for all the irritating people stated above, I would really like them to see my fiercely independent side, may be that will prove a lot of things! :P
Anywhooo, moral of the story is for the sake of gossip its ok to attach tags to people, but constantly expecting that tag like behavior is kind of stupid.
~nightflier
Kuch toh log kahenge..
ReplyDeleteYou can bet everything on the fact that IF you had an accent, same people will be talking about how you are such a show off.. or something on those lines..
Take it easyyyy. Ever notice that "take it easy" is most effective in the Italian accent? I mean, imagine Robert De Niro saying it as opposed to Daniel Day Lewis. Huge difference. I wish there were special fonts for different accents. Right now, mine's supposed to be Italiano. Oh.. BTW.. you haven't pinged me in about a gazillion years. Cough cough.
Cheers!
Hey, you know whats even more annoying? People who are determined to talk to you in English just because you are an NRI.
ReplyDeleteI mean come on, tula marathi yeta, mala yeta.. marathitach bolu yaat..
But you know what, I always got this thing during our college, people used to say,"Watat nahi tu English medium madhe hotis.." ermm.. I never understood what was that supposed to mean but well, what can you do except shrug right.. ;)
for the sake of gossip its ok to attach tags to people, but constantly expecting that tag like behavior is kind of stupid. Couldn't agree with you more! :)
ReplyDeleteLet the people also feel happy about something. However, some of them could be just trying to start a conversation or so - not trying to mean anything. Even today, for most of the desi junta, going abroad remains a dream, and they think it changes something in you :)
ReplyDelete